When You Were Everything


When You Were Everything


Now Cleo wants to erase every memory, good or bad, that tethers her to her ex-best friend. But pretending Layla doesn't exist isn't as easy as Cleo hoped, especially after she's assigned to be Layla's tutor. Despite budding friendships with other classmates--and a raging crush on a gorgeous boy named Dom--Cleo's turbulent past with Layla comes back to haunt them both.
Alternating between time lines of Then and Now, When You Were Everything blends past and present into an emotional story about the beauty of self-forgiveness, the promise of new beginnings, and the courage it takes to remain open to love.


When you were everything is a contemporary book that follows Cleo, a girl whose world is falling apart, she has lost her best friend and found herself alone. That pretty much sums up what the book's about.

I loved this book, it was such a fast read and there was always something going on and you didn't get bored at any moment which was helpful to keep you wanting to read and know more.

I also think it has a very powerful and relatable story, the lost in friendship, I am pretty sure a lot of teenager have gone thorough these at some point in their lives and reading about Cleos story and being able to relate so much to her was amazing. I think it is important that are books about these.

I loved the development of the story it self, the relationship she also had, and the relation with her parents as well, it was also another very reliable part of the story. It was lovely seeing the main character evolve and get over that friendship that even if she missed her, she realized that it was better for her lo let that one friend go.

What I didn't enjoy as much was the fact that at one point I felt like her friendship became a little too toxic and selfish in  a way (i wished I could talk about it but unfortunately this part has a lot of spoilers so if you have read it, I will develop a bit further, if you haven't read the book please just don t look at it haha) and that part I didn't like.

 

This book broke my heart and I loved it for it, it was wholesome, cute and such a cozy fast read! One of the best contemporaries of the year For Sure.

 

SPOILERSS!!!!!

 

Going back to the toxicity I wanted to explain and talk about it a little bit more but this part does contain spoilers.

 

As much as I loved the fact that she lost her fiend Layla when she started hanging out with other people and getting distanced from Cleo, which I think is how most of the friends are separated, there was a part in which Cleo seemed a little toxic at least to me. She thought she owned Layla and she couldn't hang out with other people because it was hers. Cleo also gets incredibly pissed when she sees Layla at her (Cleo´s) spot.  And obviusly it hurts to see your Best Friend going out with other people but you don t own her, you cant control other people and the fact that she despertly tried to keep her away from the other girls bugged me abit. Regardless, the whole story about her parents ' separation was so real that I actually loved it so much. I think is also another matter that is important to touch especially on teenager orientated books, to know how to deal with it and the fact that she was going through so much, her friend and now her parents as well, when it seems that your world is collapsing, that everything goes wrong you have to know that you are not alone.

 

Also can we just talk about how CUTE Dom is? Like I am in love with this man, he is just too damn kind and her grandparents AW they were to die for, I absolutely loved them all and it melt my heart so much
4/5⭐️





Share:

0 comments