These Violents Delights

These Violents Delights


A blood feud between two gangs runs the streets red, leaving the city helpless in the grip of chaos. At the heart of it all is eighteen-year-old Juliette Cai, a former flapper who has returned to assume her role as the proud heir of the Scarlet Gang&;a network of criminals far above the law. Their only rivals in power are the White Flowers, who have fought the Scarlets for generations. And behind every move is their heir, Roma Montagov, Juliette&;s first love&;and first betrayal.


But when gangsters on both sides show signs of instability culminating in clawing their own throats out, the people start to whisper. Of a contagion, a madness. Of a monster in the shadows. As the deaths stack up, Juliette and Roma must set their guns&;and grudges&;aside and work together, for if they can&;t stop this mayhem, then there will be no city left for either to rule.


These Violents Delights was such an unexpected read, I started knowing a little bit was about but did not fully know the story. From what I had heard it was a Romeo and Juliettte Re-telling and I was there for it. When I actually started it, I thought it was a bit slow (regarding the romance story line) but I thought that it would get better. What a surprise when it didn't. 


The story fully focuses on the "chaos" that is happening in Shanghai and not so much on the main characters ' relationship story line. If I was to read a book that was promoted as "Romeo and Juliette retelling" I would expect their love as the most important thing and the "chaos" as something more in the background.


Even though I was a little bit disappointed with the book, I have to say I loved the chinese cultural references, I think it is so interesting and I really appreciated whenever that came up I honestly think that it was make me somewhat enjoy the book as well as the historical context since it was such an amazing point,  it made it a lot more interesting as well.

If you are looking for an urban fantasy with some romance that is kind of based on Romeo and Juliette, I would highly recommend this book, but if, on the other hand, you are looking for a romance packed book with something interesting happening in the background, then this book is not for you.

Even though it was not a book that I will forever remember, it gave me a fan and entertaining time. 


SPOILERS!


I do not know if it was because I wasn't focused when I read it but I did not understand the villains point of view and why he did it. The villain was a little bit plain and I didn't felt him or his reason for killing all those people. I felt like he was missing a very important background story and, for a villain, i didn't have enough time to really get to know him. 

There are also some characters who were not needed, and that made the story so much more slow, I even felt like they were there for filling purposes.


Over all i gave it:

3/5⭐️

YOU CAN BUY IT HERE











Share:

0 comments