The Cruel Prince

 The Cruel Prince




Of course I want to be like them. They're beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.


And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.


Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.


To win a place at the Court, she must defy him--and face the consequences.


In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.





I heard real wonders from these books and that's why I decided to read them. This first book, for some reason, was a little slow at first but I decided to continue because I knew that the next ones were much, much better. The cruel prince didn't hook me until after the middle of the book, I didn't think anything interesting was happening, the world in which the story takes place (Faerie) didn't seem to be going to my liking, but I kept going and kept reading. And thank God I did, because as the story progressed I liked the plot more and more and I wanted to read it.


As for the characters, at first I didn't like ANYTHING about the main character, I didn't understand why she behaved the way she did, but the more I read, the more I liked it and the more I grew fond of it.


Just for the end and the following books, it deserves 100% to be read although I have to say that this first one is my least favorite book of the trilogy precisely for the beginning but even so I recommend reading it a lot. The next two are AWESOME so stay tuned for their respective reviews!


SPOILERS!


The characters: 

Jude- As I said, I didn't like her character at the beginning of the novel, and I didn't like her because I didn't understand that hatred she had towards Cardan specifically. I understand that the faeries treated her badly and that's why she didn't like them, but above all she didn't like Cardan. Obviously it's known that it's the love interest of the protagonist from the beginning and that's why I would have liked it to go a little unnoticed at the beginning. With the progresion of the novel, I began to like her much more, that strong woman that she is, I loved her. I was struck by the fact that Jude was cruel and evil (in a way) and that in the end she turned out to be more like Madoc than she thought.


Cardan- Well Cardan in the first book doesn't have much prominence, he has more in the second and third books. In this particular one, I didn't like Cardan's character, it was simple, and that's why I didn't like that Jude gave him so much attention.


As for the world in which the novel takes place, I didn't like it either haha (at the beginning), I was bored with those long dances with so many characters and things that happened that seemed a little irrelevant to me, but as I have already said, the best is in the next two books.


The plot, well, did I like it? If I liked it, did I love it? No, I didn't love it haha. For my taste, the introduction was a little slow, and in the last five chapters everything goes by super fast. But even if it was slower, in a little more than half of the book, the heart of the matter begins. 


So yes, I do recommend it although if you have read it up to here I suppose that you have read it too haha and if so, I invite you to comment on what you thought of it.


3.75/5


Good day! 🤍









Share:

0 comments